Landscape Designer Position Description:
Apiary Studio is seeking an Individual with entry to mid-level skills to serve as a landscape designer. This is a full-time position that will focus on developing schematic designs, presentation renderings, construction drawings and construction administration activities. Apiary Studio is a small office, so staff are given a diverse array of responsibilities and experiences – we all wear a lot of hats.
Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree from an accredited landscape architecture or architecture programf
Minimum 1-3 years experience working in a landscape architecture, engineering or architecture office
About Apiary Studio:
Apiary Studio is a landscape architecture, design/build, and experimental horticulture firm. We work to achieve thoughtful design solutions that maximize opportunities and mitigate challenges in an increasingly post-wilderness, post-humanist world. By way of dogged research, in-house trialing, and insatiable curiosity, we have come to specialize in unconventional building materials, adaptive reuse of urban decay, and unusual hardy plants to create gardens and outdoor spaces that are dynamic, responsive, and break from the mold. Our work is mostly, but not exclusively urban, within the greater Philadelphia metro area.
The following list of skills represent the core activities that the landscape designer will be tasked with performing or managing. Not all of these skills will be utilized on every project, and our scope of work is often much broader, but these represent the most common and fundamental skills a designer will utilize towards Apiary’s projects:
- Drivers License – the Applicant must possess a driver’s license in order to visit regional project sites.
- Design Conceptualization – The ability to explore different design solutions to a variety of project types is the most core and essential responsibility of this position. Candidates should have a high quality portfolio of work samples to share, which demonstrate creative problem solving and design exploration.
- 3D Modeling – Candidate must have experience in creating 3D models and 3D visualization techniques.
- Rendering – The landscape designer will spend a lot of time creating graphic presentations and renderings that will be presented to clients and community groups. The ability to develop creative, thoughtful and beautiful images and graphic layouts is an essential skill for this position.
- Construction Documentation – The candidate must have some experience in developing blueprints, including the development of layout plans and detailing.
- Grading – Candidate must have basic knowledge of site grading, including the ability to read and understand surveys, as well as establishing spot grades and contours based on design layouts and basic building code.
- Software – Autocad, Adobe Creative Suite (including Photoshop, Illustrator & Indesign), 3D Modeling software (Sketchup, Rhino, Lumion or some other software), Microsoft Office Suite
We think we have a great team at Apiary Studio, full of creative and ambitious talent. We are a small, young firm in the process of growing and expanding our design and construction services. All employees are expected to be pleasant, polite and friendly towards one another in order to foster as collaborative and fun an environment as possible. Additional personality traits we all possess include:
- Attention to Detail – Our obsession with craft and attention to detail is what sets our firm apart from other companies. A big part of the reason that we undertake both design and build services is because we believe that we can do it better than just about anyone else.
- Creativity – We try to think outside the box and employ thoughtful and unconventional solutions to design challenges. Our motto at Apiary Studio is “Good and Weird”, which is a trait we hope to find and cultivate in all of our staff.
- Collaborative – We work well because we work as a team. It is critical that all staff feel comfortable working together and sharing ideas fluidly during the design process as well as during construction. Because we are a design/build firm, the design and field staff collaborate directly and frequently, and any candidate must be comfortable interacting with trade workers.
- Passion for Sustainability – At the end of the day, we feel strongly that it is our responsibility to create landscapes that heal people, restore ecologies and consume the least amount of resources possible. We hope that all Apiary staff take seriously, our collective responsibility for serving as stewards of the environment and that we need to leave the world in a better state than the one we found it in.
Skills nice to have but not necessary:
The following skills and accreditations are desired but not necessary in order to work at Apiary Studio, they will be picked up on the job in any case:
- LEED AP
- SITES AP
- Plant Knowledge – We love plants at Apiary Studio, and bonus points go to any candidate who also shares this passion.
- Construction Experience – Translating design concepts into a built work is the core of what we do at Apiary Studio. Having experience in the field, working with tools and materials, can help a designer to not only empathize with their counterparts on the construction team, but it can also help with understanding the fundamental ways in which materials are best assembled.
Rate of pay is negotiable and based on experience. Paid holidays and vacation. Access to company tools and resources for personal projects after hours.
Apiary Studio is located in the Germantown-Mt Airy neighborhood of Northwest Philadelphia. More information about the practice can be found at: www.Apiary-Studio.com
Work samples and employer references may be requested after interviewing.